Associate Visuals Editor
Atlas Obscura is hiring an Associate Visuals Editor with an elevated eye for photography and illustration to assist with the daily image requirements of our editorial team. You’ll assess, prepare, edit, organize, and collaborate on art needs of all types with editors and writers, involving image research and some commissioning. You’ll also handle administrative responsibilities associated with the visuals department. The candidate should be exceptionally detail-oriented, a creative problem solver, and thrive on juggling multiple projects at the same time in a high-paced creative environment. This position reports to the Visuals Editor.
Atlas Obscura is remote-first, which means you can live and work from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada. At Atlas Obscura we also believe exploration is for everyone, so we encourage applicants from all backgrounds. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
- Helping to maintain databases, and to process and organize administrative paperwork including contracts, invoices, etc. in a timely manner.
- Researching and licensing images to illustrate editorial stories, from contemporary photography to obscure archival sources.
- Obtaining accurate caption and credit information.
- Assigning some original artwork from outside contributors.
- Helping to maintain sourcing, licensing, and crediting best practices throughout the site.
- Additional duties as assigned by Visuals Editor
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate:
1 to 3 years of experience in related roles in digital media or publishing.
Highly detailed-oriented and organized.
Excellent communications and collaboration skills.
Photo research skills and familiarity with photo libraries and archival sources.
Practical knowledge of U.S. copyright laws and best practices.
Proficiency in Photoshop (skills in other Creative Suite programs are a plus).
Proficiency in Google Suite.
Passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of instilling a sense of wonder in our audience.
You’ll get noticed if:
- You are a strong writer and have an interest in contributing written work to the site.
- You have experience in creating illustrations and gifs, and are interested in contributing visual content.
- You have experience working, or the desire to work, on multimedia presentations for stories.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also creates insightful journalism, offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest-growing companies.
Please here apply with a résumé, cover letter, and portfolio (links or PDFs).